Thursday, December 27, 2007

Ring-a-Ling: A Christmas Poem

I haven't attempted poetry since 10th grade creative writing class, so be warned. I wanted to summarize a story that many of you will ask me about, and what better way than a Christmas poem?! And begin...

Christmas arrived with nary a sound
A bit of snow on the ground, no kids to be found
Just me and my girl and our bright Christmas tree,
and Disco the Kitty with her new “busy-bee”

We’d planned on relaxing ‘til round about ten
Then family and presents would call us to them
So coffee in hand and a movie on queue
We cozied the couch for “The Godfather: Part II”

As Michael and Fredo in Cuba did play
I tried to conceal my jitters that day
For under the tree lied a gift of great meaning
Twas meant for my love and would soon leave her beaming

But how to convince her to open that one
Without letting on to the trick that I’d done?
Like a child I said “I wanna open a present,
So let’s pick one out for each other” I meant

I knew to go first, so I dove to the tree
She pointed way back to a box marked for me
With hands a bit shaky I tore through the wrap
For a warm winter coat, very nice one at that

Then her turn, “Which one?”, I pointed out a long box
With silver paper, a bow, much too large for a rock
Inside, a hiking bag - a meager fanny pack
“Gee, thanks” said she, I thought she might give it back!

But then, in the pack she could feel something else
I watched as she opened and looked for herself
Another box, quite small, with a jeweler’s mark
A treasure of sorts, but will it create the true spark?

As she opened the ring, I let a few moments pass
“Do you have a question for me?”, no patience, this lass
I leaned in on a knee, and spoke four famous words
And after a kiss, her reply was heard…

“Of course I will." She said the right thing!
Relieved, we looked at her shiny new bling
A marvelous ring, let’s hope it will fit
And barely it did, after sticking a bit

So that’s my story of Christmas this year
A morning engagement with mobsters and tears
Romantic? Maybe not, but memorable, yes
Suffice it to say, we feel truly blessed

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and were able to spend time with family and friends. I miss my family and everyone back home, and I hope to see you all soon – with my fiancĂ©e!

Love,
Steve

4 comments:

Relish said...

Steve, Great little poem and even greater is the news that is entangled in it.... I am extremely happy for you. It also justifies the life altering decision you made by uprooting and moving to Utah. You have a great job and a future with a wonderful woman.
CONGRATS my friend.

Jeremy The Keeper said...

Nicely done, particularly the Godfather bit. Joel would be proud. So when's the date?

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! Steve you are on your way to poetry master! Congratulations to both you and Anne 1000x! Your blog brings tears of joy to my eyes---Can’t wait to hear what rhyme you weave for the famous day  Happy Holidays and New Year!
~Stephanie F.~

Anonymous said...

Congrats Stevie! We're very happy for you.